Creating A Global Regents Prep Weebly
The most advanced font on the website is Comic Sans. This is a problem.
Your task is to create a proper/modernized/stylish/slick Regents Prep Website for a given THEME. In your research of past regents, I want you to always use the content that you find to help your group answer the final Driving Question(s) for my class.
Does the trajectory of Global History portray a pattern of progression or regression? Should humankind be optimistic or pessimistic about the future of human existence?
(Answer for your theme)
MY MENTOR TEXT/MODEL WEBSITE
Step 1: Take a look at how outdated and simplified this Global Regents website actually is- and this is the BEST one that I have found so far.
Step 2: Now, take a look at the English regents prep sites that Christy's students created for the January test a few months ago. Pretty impressive, right?
Step 3: Now that you've seen a well-meaning, but ultimately not very effective Global prep site AND the websites that Christy's 11th grade students created for the English Regents- I want you to innovate and create an appropriate Global Regents prep website for this test and this century.
I want you to use actual Old Regents tests to do this. Here is a link to ALL of the New York State Global Regents exams from 2003 to now:
Familiarize yourself with these exams. This includes multiple choice questions and their answers, thematic essays/DBQs and samples of a score of 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0.... These samples are what actual regents graders use to grade YOUR exams. Your job is to look at these sample essays and see what makes them so darn good.
Step 4: So, now you have seen an outdated example of a regents website, great examples of modern, stylish English regents prep websites, and a place that has ALL of the old regents questions, essays, answers and samples. Now you have to take that last New York State Global Regents information and put it to good use in creating your own Regents Weebly. I am going to assign you/ you are going to choose a theme from Global History to base your regents page on.
Here are the possible themes that your group may choose from:
Movement of People and Goods
Change (Turning Points)
Science and Technology
Human and Physical Geography
Remember, you will be researching your theme in global history to answer your final Driving Question:
Does the trajectory of Global History portray a pattern of progression or regression? Should humankind be optimistic or pessimistic about the future of human existence? (Answer for your theme)
In your website, I want you to do the following:
1) Model "Thinking Aloud" for 20 MULTIPLE CHOICE Questions using Quick Time Screen Recording. To do this you need to comb through past regents and choose 20 multiple choice questions that you can bet that you will see on the test based on the frequency that you see them.
2) Model Outlining Thematic Essay with a 5 score. Look at the scoring rubric for your essay. Read the sample essay from the scores 5, 4, 3, etc... You and your group need to talk about what makes the sample 5s so great, and the sample 3s mediocre, and the sample 2s not so great. Then choose 2 different topics than the sample 5 used, and outline them as a sample 5. To do this you need to create the graphic organizer so you hit the tasks, but remember that the column of analysis is the MOST IMPORTANT PART. Your analysis will inform your THESIS statement, which will affect the quality of your paper. In the screen capture, you need to show the audience how you interpret the information for the 2 topics that you are comparing to create a THESIS that will produce an essay with a score of 5.
3) Model writing a body paragraph for a DBQ Essay. Your thesis should already be determined before you model your paragraph. I really want to see you squeezing as much analysis from 2-3 documents in this model body paragraph. Use the same preparation that you used for the Model Thematic Essay- research the old scoring rubrics from the DBQs and find out what makes a DBQ essay get a score of 5. After analyzing what makes a good DBQ, use what you have learned to inform your audience how they can write a well crafted body paragraph using 2-3 documents to support your thesis.
4) Create a song parody with your theme. You can choose a very specific event (like the French Revolution/ "Bad Romance" video, or the "95 Theses but a Pope aint One" for the Reformation), or you can choose a theme and incorporate different events throughout history. As fun as modeling multiple choice questions and essays can be, I thought that it would be fun to add a little spice to this project. Here are those 2 examples:
Lady Gaga- French Revolution/Bad Romance
95 Theses Rap
and my own "Imperialist State of Mind"
Step 5: Now, once you choose/are assigned your group of 3, you can start to create your website. Go to www.weebly.com and enter your TYWLS email to create an account. Only one of you need to do this; you should all not the login info and password. Play around with it! First, choose your Design. Then you can begin to create pages. You will need to create the following Pages (click on Pages at the top and then click "Add New Page":
1) Multiple Choice Help
2) How to outline a Thematic Essay
3) How to write an analysis-heavy body paragraph that supports your thesis
4) Historical Song Parody relating to your theme
5) Cheat Sheet on your theme/content
Again, a good place to start would be here:
Remember, I ENCOURAGE YOU to look at the answers and the sample Essays for Regents graders. You have the power now! Like Prometheus, I HAVE GIVEN YOU THE GIFT OF FIRE! You are the teacher, the student, the expert. Your job is to show your audience how they can arrive at that level 5 essay. How can your analysis determine a great thesis? How can you talk through multiple choice questions in a way that is informative and possibly entertaining?
I encourage you to HAVE FUN with this project! Be creative. Remember, you and your fellow students will be more prepared for the regents if you make your website INTERESTING, FUN, and MEMORABLE! No one wants to hear Ben Stein (guy from the "Clear Eyes" commercials/ teacher from Ferris Bueller's Day Off) walk through boring Multiple Choice questions. How would <insert exciting pop star here (just not One Direction)> walk through a regents multiple choice? I will give you examples of this myself. But remember, the quality of your website could make or break your peers' Regents scores.
Step 6: Consult the Rubric Below! This is going to hit almost ALL OF YOUR OUTCOMES. This could not only make or break your Regents score, but also your grade for this class. I want you to put your HEART AND SOUL into this project! This is your time to shine. SHOW ME THAT YOU ARE READY FOR GREG'S U.S. HISTORY CLASS! SHOW ME THAT YOU CAN WRITE BETTER THAN CHARLES DICKENS, CREATE BETTER THAN TYLER THE CREATOR, INNOVATE BETTER THAN STEVE JOBS, ARGUE BETTER THAN JOHNNY COCHRAN, INVESTIGATE BETTER THAN SHERLOCK HOLMES, COMMUNICATE BETTER THAN BARACK OBAMA.... YOU GET THE IDEA!
GO FORTH AND INNOVATE! REMEMBER, THE FATE OF MIDDLE EARTH RESTS UPON THE QUALITY OF THIS WEBSITE! AND REMEMBER, NO COMIC SANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(OR "SANS COMIC SANS", AS THE FRENCH WOULD SAY)
Here is the site for Regents Global Review e-learning. Review, take online quizzes, and chart your progress.
U: last 6 digits of student ID
P: first & last initials + 4-digit birth year
Excellent review materials are here.
Here are notes for RCSD's 11-day review of Global History and Geography.
RCSD-11-Day Global Regents Review
Practice these multiple-choice questions as part of Regents review.
Multiple-Choice Global Review
Here is a Regents "Cheat" Sheet, with tips to help you remember important points.
Regents Cheat Sheet
This is a quick review of Global I, through the Commercial Revolution.
Quick Review of Global I
This file highlights major ideas and events in Global History.
Final Global Review
Ms. Espinosa provided this review filled with images, and I edited the information. She says if you can remember what is on this file, you can pass the Regents.
Global II Review
This site has several review videos, slide shows, and links to other resources.